Sidmouth Digital Archiving
“Save space and save your memories”
Are you thinking of downsizing? Or even decluttering? We might be able to help. We offer a bespoke service to local residents where, using our high quality scanners and expertise, we can convert your photographs and paper documents into digital images. Thus preserving your precious memories for future generations to enjoy – and allowing you to free up space in your home.
Who we are:
Charlie Fawell is a Sidmouth based/local photographer who has worked extensively both in London and East Devon. With 30 years experience behind him, Charlie has photographed everything from oil rigs to fine art and has built up an extensive knowledge of lighting, photography software and archiving artwork.
Alastair Watson is a former RAF chap with a passion for local military history. This was recently put to good use when he worked on a project to archive black and white photographs loaned by veterans for Sidmouth Museum’s RAF 100 display. Alastair has also worked with material from The National Archives.
We offer a bespoke archiving service.
We recognize that many people have boxes or albums of old photographs or precious documents that are taking up valuable space and rarely see the light of day.
By carefully scanning your photographs we can help you free up space while preserving your photographs forever. You’ll be able to enjoy them on your personal computer, tablet or smart-phone – or even email them to friends and family, preserving precious memories for future generations.
If you have larger pieces of artwork or documents, we can help with those too.
We will travel to you for an initial chat about your requirements at no expense to you. If you want us to proceed, we are happy to archive your material at either your property or ours. Whatever works for you.
Our fees are £20 an hour for scanning or £36 an hour for larger scale copying.
The technical stuff
(and don’t worry if this doesn’t make sense, as we are happy to explain all the information below in layman’s terms at your initial consultation)
A variety of different approaches
- You could simply provide all your photos removed from albums ready to be scanned, either individually or by batch.
- We can remove the photos from the albums for you and scan as above.
- Alternatively, we can very carefully photograph each page of your album, preserving it as you remember it.
- We can also scan multi-page documents.
- Finally larger items such as larger photos, paintings or artwork, which will not fit on a conventional scanner, can be digitized by photographic methods.
Some other things to think about
- For the best results we recommend that larger items, such as illustrations, oversized album pages, large photos and paintings, be removed from glazed frames because of the potential for reflections. If this is not possible we will do all we can to achieve the best outcome.
- You will also need to consider the file size of your scan. We offer scans at 300ppi and 600ppi. Clearly the larger the size of the scan, the longer the scan will take, and the more space it will take up on your device. We are happy to advise on what will work best for your needs.
- We will consult you regarding the naming of the files that will contain your scans in order that you can easily locate them on your device.
- Scans will be supplied as custom named ‘jpeg’ files and can be delivered to you either a by an electronic file transfer service, or for a small charge of £10 they can be supplied on a usb memory stick.
- We will store your scans for your peace of mind for up to six months, however after that time they will be removed from our hard drives.
For an informal chat about your requirements or to arrange your initial consultation, please email Charlie at email@example.com
Recommended partner services:
Of course when you are de-cluttering some of the items you are looking to dispose of may have some value and we recommend in this instance that you get in touch with Potburys Auctions, who can be found here: